To commemorate the end of 25 years of civil war in Sri Lanka we are presenting a dish straight from the island nation. Though often overlooked when talking about Asian cuisine, Sri Lanka offers a blend of neighboring flavors combined with its own unique dishes and a heavy influence from the sea. Today's recipe is a fairly simple rice recipe that goes great with just about any curry dish. Ghee Rice from Recipezaar
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, soaked in water
- 1/4 tablespoon ghee (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or vegetable bouillon cubes or beef bouillon cubes
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3-5 fenugreek leaves (methi leaves)
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 5 cardamoms
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 tomato, peeled and sliced, for garnish
- 3-5 slices onions, fried, for garnish
- Heat the ghee and oil in a pot.
- Add in the onions, fenugreek leaves, chicken/vegetable/beef bouillon cube, curry leaves and cardamoms.
- Fry for a few minutes till the onions are lightly golden brown, the fenugreek leaves are softened and the tantalizing aroma of the cardamoms' fills the air in your kitchen.
- Add the drained rice and mint leaves.
- Mix well; careful not to break any rice grain.
- Cook till the rice gets cooked.
- Garnish with fried onions and the sliced tomato.
- Cover with aluminum foil and keep covered for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot!